In 1700, Yacoub Elias was the first Ramallah native to be ordained by the Eastern Greek Melkite Orthodox Church of Jerusalem, the Christian denomination that prevailed in the Holy Land at the time.
In the early 19th century, the first Greek Melkite Jerusalemite Orthodox Christian church was built.
) is a Palestinian city in the central West Bank located 10 km (6 miles) north of Jerusalem at an average elevation of 880 meters (2,890 ft) above sea level, adjacent to al-Bireh.
The British Army occupied Ramallah in December 1917 during the war years.It stands amongst gardens and olive-yards, and has three springs to the south and one on the west; on the north there are three more, within a mile from the village. There are rock-cut tombs to the north-east with well-cut entrances, but completely blocked with rubbish.In the village is a Greek church, and on the east a Latin convent and a Protestant schoolhouse, all modern buildings.The village "belonged" to the Haram al-Sharif, Jerusalem, to which it paid an annual tax of 350 Mids of grain.A large Christian village, of well-built stone houses, standing on a high ridge, with a view on the west extending to the sea.